The group from private and public sectors was invited to look at the key challenges that are facing businesses right now. The tables went through a process of individual brain-storming, followed by creating an affinity map and finally completing a template to demonstrate how in such a short space of time, ideas can be floated, organised and converged in to some real discussion and solutions.
The post-its, brain-dumps and templates reflected the following challenges facing organisations right now:
Top of the list seems to be change management! I think our next session has its theme...
Next on the list was management and leadership and there was a great deal of discussion around what was within the sphere of influence and control of the group and what was not.
Some of the solutions suggested included:
- Raising the profile of L and D and HR in the organisation
- Focus more on recruitment and retention strategies
- Lift engagement scores - measure before and after
- Ensure that you know what you are recruiting for - have guidelines in place
- Get clarity on organisation's vision
- Train more managers and create leaders
- Look at flexible work arrangements